If your home has a garbage disposal, you know the convenience of letting certain food into the drain. While not all foods are safe to go down the drain, if you have a garbage disposal, it allows you to reduce waste and also saves time. At Dan’s Plumbing & Septic, we offer garbage disposal installation and repair services. If you have an issue with your current garbage disposal or want to add one to your kitchen, don’t hesitate to contact us today! We can have it repaired or a new one installed in no time.
How to Properly Maintain Your Garbage Disposal
Below are a few ways to keep your garbage disposal working as it should:
• Run Your Garbage Disposal Often – It’s essential to run your garbage disposal regularly. You don’t want excess food to build up and potentially clog the disposal. Too much food or waste can cause the disposal to work extra hard, which puts additional stress on the blades and motor of the garbage disposal.
• Use Water When Running Your Disposal – It’s very important to run cold water when using your garbage disposal. In fact, it’s good practice to turn the water on before you start the garbage disposal to ensure the items in the disposal flow freely through your plumbing pipes.
• Avoid Putting Certain Items Down Your Disposal – Below are some of the items that you should avoid placing in your garbage disposal:
o Potato peels and other fibrous foods
o Coffee grounds
o Cooking oil or other fats
o Hard seeds
• Don’t Put Too Much Into Your Garbage Disposal – You want to avoid overfilling your garbage disposal. Putting too much food waste down your drain can cause your blades to become overworked and strain the disposal motor.
• Maintain Your Garbage Disposal – Put several ice cubes into your disposal and flush with cold water to sharpen the blades. You can also clean the unit by pouring vinegar down your drain, letting it sit for 30 minutes – 1 hour, and then flushing it with water.
Need Garbage Disposal Repair or Replacement?
If you’re in the market for a new garbage disposal or have one that needs to be repaired, don’t hesitate to contact Dan’s Plumbing & Septic today by phone at (763) 434-6814. We’ll happily schedule a time for one of our licensed plumbers to visit your home to determine your needs.